Friday, April 30, 2010

Okra(abelmoschus esculentus) and Lime(citrus aurantifolia) - The Possible Nature’s Cure For Human Bite?.

I wish you were there to see the countenances of the crowd that gathered when I was being treated for a human bite with both Okra(abelmoschus esculentus) and Lime(citrus aurantifolia).
Some faces looked clownish as if they were about to cry in sympathy for my ordeal.

Sometimes last year, I was relaxing with a group of elders in a very busy spot along a Ring road passing through my neighborhood. Our average age should be around 65years. We were sharing memories
over palm wine.

Suddenly I saw approaching us a very robust elderly woman whose features looked very familiar to me. I immediately stood up to catch a full glimpse of the woman only to discover that it was Jumoke my Secondary school girlfriend. That was 48years ago. I saw her last about 30years I requested that she joined us and she kindly obliged.

We exchanged pleasantries and went through memory lane. It was when I wanted to play one of my youthful pranks that I ran into a very serious trouble. It was my attempt to pick an item from her bag and her refusal led to her giving me a serious human bite. the time I withdrew my hand from her bag, what I saw was blood on the spot on which she gave me the bite. I also felt a terrible pain. As I was looking for my driver to take me to the hospital for the necessary treatment, one of the elders told me that I should not
waste my time going to any hospital. He advised that instead I should look for some raw fruit items and apply them on the resultant wound. 

Even though I am well educated, I decided to take the risk and
follow the advice of the elderly man. I then sent my driver to purchase both the okra and lime at a very
nearby local market. They were cut open and their flesh were used to scrub the spot of the bite wound with such a terrible pain and additional oozing of blood from the wood.. Eventually I became relieved of the terrible pain and the blood flow stopped, I left for home. On getting home, I went to bed immediately only to wake up.

The following morning to a very great surprise. What did I see?. I saw some whitish substance on the wound, which was explained off as a possible resultant reaction of my body fluid to the raw fruits
applied on the human bite. I later learnt correctly or otherwise that had I failed to give the bite a very effective treatment, there was the possibility that the bite might become rabid to the detriment of my health.. I am yet to find out about the medicinal efficacy of both the okra and lime on human
beings particularly on wounds caused by human bites.

moses zaccheaus - a writer, author, publisher, philatelic and numismatic teacher.

www.moseszee.com - http://moseszee.blogspot.com
http://moseszee.webs.com/apps/webstore


This article may be reprinted FREE OF CHARGE on the condition that the contents of the article and the details in the Resource Box remain INTACT.